My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Dating In The Gay World - Starting Late in Life

So I was watching this show today on TLC called Little People, Big World. The oldest son went on his first date to his Winter Formal Dance. His mom was talking about how this will teach him how to interact with girls, how to be polite, and how to learn etiquette.

Suddenly it made me think...what would my life be like if I had the opportunity to date guys during my teenage years the same way that straight guys date girls. How would the experience have changed me? How would I be different today?

I mean overall I did not start too late in life. I started dating and had my first boyfriend at 19...but still, the experience of learning how to date early in life was missed.

But one thing that always comes to mind is that there are countless number of men who came out later than me...had it harder than I did...and some who for some reason find it difficult or impossible to come out to this very day.

So in the end, I guess I just take life as it comes. It is always easy to look back at life and think about what could have been or what should have been. But that never changes how things actually were and doesn't change how things are...

And I for one, am happy about how everything turned out...

5 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger S. said…

    I was 36 when I had my first date with a guy. I think, had I started in my teens things would have turned out a LOT differnt! SO...why have I not received any drunk dials lately? You don't love me anymore??? :)

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    well i am always the one to call you Mr. :-)

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Anonymous derekk said…

    I came out early! We all come out in our own time, enjoying your blog! Enjoy Pride this weekend.

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Thanks Derekk! Hope you have a great weekend....:-)

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Derekk - i tried 3 - 4 times to access your blog but everytime it totally froze up my computer and had to restart.... :-(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home