My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Your Life Belongs To You - And No One Else

Every now and then I am overcome with such a feeling of accomplishment about my life. It is interesting because this feeling does not always hit me. And many times, I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum, feeling disappointment and left wanting for the things I have yet to accomplish. Yet when I really think about it, I am proud of my life. I am proud of what I made it. I can look back over my first 28 (almost 29) years and be very proud that for the most part, I did not give into pressure of doing what others wanted me to do...or being what others wanted me to be...or of thinking what others wanted me to think.

Every aspect of my life has happened because it is what I wanted. Growing up, I rarely got in that much trouble and I did not test my parents as teenager like most do. I never smoked, never drank, never did drugs, and made straight A's throughout high school. I was valedictorian and the university I went to was my choice and only my choice. I did all this not because of some pressure to be good or some pressure to perform. I did this because it is what I wanted...it is how I wanted to be. I wanted to succeed academically and I wanted to push myself.

In college, I chose to go to church because I wanted to and not because of some pressure I felt from other students or the university. I chose which faith to follow and to this day my beliefs and my theology remain mine and are not forced to change by what others think of it.

I chose my career after college based on what I wanted to do...I wanted to make a difference so in turning down a high paying job with IBM, I proceeded to work with kids...to try and make a difference by teaching. I chose that path regardless of what others told me that a lower salary and lower promotion opportunity would hurt me.

I chose to come out when I wanted to and not when it was dictated by society or by others...

I could go on and on about my choices, my actions, my ideas, and the paths I have chosen in my life. But the important thing that always comes to mind is that they are mine and no one else's.

The beauty of owning your life is that good or bad, in success or in defeat, everything is yours to celebrate. Celebrate the good, the bad, and the ugly. Revel in everything that shapes you to be a better person. I know I do. And during the refining process that life sometimes puts you through, when you feel like your life has not been worth it, just remember that it is your life and no one else's.

You have the right and the ability to make it what you want. No matter where you are or what you do, no one can take that from you.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger abnitude said…

    heathers song is great, i like the depth in her voice. i had never heard her before so thanks for the listen. i also think that if you have been able to make all those choices then you have a good head on your shoulders and you should be proud of all you have done and will continue to do.

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Jason said…

    What a great post.
    Walking your own path isn't always easy, but doing your own thing by your own rules is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.
    You rock!!

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    You have inner strength, that allows to see choice when others see barriers. Good job! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home