My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hillary Clinton vs Barack Obama - Which One To Choose?

Sometimes when I research information on Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, I feel like the only thing they have in common is that they both have the word Democrat attached to their names. I have not done as much research as I should, but it is so early in the election process that I definitely have time to do more. And I am sure that they have many things in common politically. I mean they have to have a least some common ground being members of the same political party.

But for me the biggest difference do not appear in their political beliefs, ideologies, or platforms...but rather, the differences becomes blatantly obvious in their personalities and their approach to politics.

Barack Obama is the outsider who is new to Washington as a first term Senator from Illinois. He had the benefit of not having to choose whether to cast his vote for or against the Iraq War (for the record he has always opposed it), so he comes in clean of any political baggage so to speak. His eloquence and his ability to enrapture a crowd is reminiscent of Bill Clinton and Barbara Jordan..although still I cannot put him on par with either of those people just yet.

Hillary Clinton is the career politician having been in the political spotlight almost her entire life from the days of being Governor's wife in Arkansas to First Lady of the United States, to now 2 time Senator from New York. She is seen by many as an insider in the Beltway and viewed by some as a polarizing figure. She voted to authorize the Iraq war, and has stood by that assertion ever since, though admitting the Bush Administration has made many mistakes in carrying out that authority. You either love her or hate her. I definitely do not hate Hillary Clinton...but I am uncertain as to how I would view her as President.

The biggest item that I hear when discussing these 2 candidates is the experience question. Does one have more than the other?...and does either one have enough to effectively lead our nation? Does one candidate do better at connecting with the common people?

This week in Robert Novak's weekly column the following excerpt appeared regarding the difference in leadership style between the two candidates:

"Not many people actually watched MSNBC's telecast of the debate from Orangeburg, S.C., but press accounts and word of mouth have spread the news of Obama's performance. When asked by moderator Brian Williams what he would do as president if he learned that "two American cities have been hit simultaneously by terrorists," Obama replied -- citing Hurricane Katrina -- that "the first thing we'd have to do so is make sure that we've got an effective emergency response." In contrast, Clinton responded that she would "retaliate."

I do not know who I would rather see in the White House...but from that response it seems that Hillary has taken a lesson out of the Bush playbook...I wonder if it will resonate with the common people who show up at the polls...

What if they combined their political prowess?

5 Comments:

  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger abnitude said…

    having a politically savy person teamed up with a fresh newcomer is a great idea. maybe you should write to both teams and give them your idea.

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Anonymous justaguynatl said…

    Clinton vs Barack? Answer: Edwards/Richardson

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger BRETTCAJUN said…

    Hillary Clinton is our next President. You can book it.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous heather said…

    I don't know enough about Obama to say one way or the other about him, but I can say what I don't like about Hillary.

    Every time I see her speak I hear the words coming out of her mouth but the sincerity is not there. When she smiles it doesn't appear to reach her eyes. I know that's not very logical, but you can tell a lot about a person by what their eyes say. Her body language at times says she would rather be somewhere else.

    She just doesn't come off very genuine or concerned about the everyday person.

    I however will do my best to keep an open mind because I want the best person for the job. Not just a political party.

    But as an aside I halfway hope that she doesn't win the presidency because my daughter is supremely hacked that Hillary might beat her to the presidency. My daughter has set as one of her goals is to be either the first female president or the first female supreme court chief justice.

     
  • At 12:12 AM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    Barack! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home