My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

From Polite To Rude In An Instant

I began chatting with this guy online recently. We traded emails back and forth and for all intents and purposes he seemed to be normal. We both commented that we thought the other was attractive. We chatted on the phone a few times throughout the first day. I had plans that night to go out to a bar with some friends. He invited me out to a different bar with him and his friends. I politely declined his invitation but asked if he wanted to hang out after I was done at the bar with my friends. He said yes and I agreed to call him later on.

Fast forward 2 hours...(11:30 pm)

I called him back and let him know we had finally made it out to the bar but we had made it later than expected. He stated that he had just walked in from the bar with his friends. He stated he was in for the evening but he was not going to bed for a while. I asked if I could call him later and again he said yes.

Fast forward 3 hours...(2:30 am)

I called him back and let him know that we were probably not going to get out of the bar soon because it appeared that everyone in my group was set on staying out later than I thought. He stated that we could try and get together the next day or sometime soon. We small talked for a few more minutes, and then we politely bid each other our good nights.

Fast forward 5 minutes...(2:35 am)

I called him back because our group had decided to go home and I wanted to see if he still wanted to hang out. I did not reach him and the call went straight to voicemail. I left him a message and I proceeded on to my home to go to sleep.

The next day...afternoon...

The guy calls me and we chit chat about his day. He seems enthusiastic to talk and asks about my evening and my plans for the day. He then asks if I would like to watch a movie with him tonight like we had planned the night before. I agree and we decide I will go over to his place around 7:00 pm. This is where everything would get a little weird...not totally weird but different then what I expected.

Later that night...around 7:00 pm...


I parked my car in a parking garage across the street from the guy's condo. I called him and let him know I was there. He told me where to meet him at the gates of his condo and that he would be down in a minute. I walked up the street to the correct entrance and then I saw him walking down the stairs. We walked up to the gate and we looked each other in the eyes.

He opened the gate and I said hi and that it was nice to meet him. He looked at me again and said hi and then immediately turned around and started walking back towards the stairs. No hand shake, no hug, no smile. Nothing. I began following him up the stairs because I still assumed we were watching the movie. I can't say that I was expecting to be greeted by applause and a kiss, but based on our talks I was expecting some enthusiasm or at least a pleasant smile.

We walked into his condo and I commented that it was a very nice place, but got no response. I walked in further and took off my sandals and sat down on the couch. He immediately turned down the lights, turned on the movie, and sat on the opposite side of the sofa from me. He was curled up tight almost like he was in a fetal position. Maybe he felt that if he got too close to me, he might turn to dust...I don't know.

This lasted the entire movie until the end. He got up and turned off the movie, and made a comment that he liked the music that was played during the movie. I walked over and retrieved my keys, cell phone, and sandals. I thanked him for the movie and proceeded to exit the condo. He opened the door and once I was outside I said thanks again and he said your welcome and have a good night. The door then shut.

I am not hurt because I was not expecting anything and that is exactly what I got...in any case, the movie was actually very enjoyable...ha ha

11 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger N2D33P said…

    Wow, that's kind of odd. Either you weren't what he "pictured", or he was really nervous. But I agree, that really does seem weird.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Spider said…

    Well THAT was bizarre... oh yea, welcome back! Missed ya!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger deanos said…

    I certainly hope you have 'lost' his phone number now! ODD DUCK!

    Welcome back...you were missed.

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    Welcome back. Yep...there are some real weiners...I mean winners out there, huh? It's the old kiss a lot of frogs routine. I'm glad that you haven't given up. You're too smart and cute for that. You will find the right guy.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Sorted Lives said…

    Welcome back! You were missed. Sounded like a strange evening indeed. Like you, I don't expect a guy to put out, but something more (like conversation) than turning a movie on, watching it, and leaving.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger Naijadude said…

    That I couldnt be able to decipher! Do I call it immature or what? Thats weird, even if you dont fit into the "picture" of who he thinks you might be, he could have acted in a more polite way! Maybe he's an "introvert", talk that to my behind!

    I hope you've lost his "contacts" mistakenly?

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Stammhirnlied said…

    Some people can behave oddly sometimes, when confronted with even the possibility of physical contact... "if" he was really into you and didn't know how to deal with it, perhaps being afraid he might mess things up. If he wasn't into you and couldn't even bother with simple smile and a modicum of friendship display, then he's just a twat. Either way, if you see him again, cross the road; it takes more than having a cock, to being a man.

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    yeah - I am not sure what his deal was - it was a very strange evening indeed!

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Good to have you back!
    Sounds like he has some issues you're better off not dealing with. Wish you were in my town, I could totally set you up with some great guys. You're too cute and smart to deal with these idiots.

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger The Persian said…

    Sounds like the guy might have a few issues not readily apparent over a few phone conversations and a bit of chat.

    At least you enjoyed the movie!

    :)

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Hi Matt!

    Well... at least you got to see a good movie. Glad you got out of there intact though. What a freak. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home