My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Being Rude - But Not Meaning To Be

Last night I was at the store buying some wine...at the checkout stand I ran into this guy that I went out with for some coffee. I was interested in getting to know him more, but he never offered his number and we never talked about a second meeting until a week or so later online. I thought maybe he was slightly interested but did not get the feeling that he was really interested in anything more.

Well last night I ran into him in line at the grocery store and I said hi and he said hi...and that was it...the whole time I was thinking to myself:

"Should I ask him how his day was?
"Should I ask him what he has planned for tonight?"

I was in a mad rush b/c I was late for a party...and so I said hi...then we had several minutes of awkward silence and then I said bye.

When I said bye, he said bye in a way that showed he felt like I had blown him off...I did not know what to do at that point so I left the store and went to my party.

I was not trying to be rude at all...anyone that knows me, knows that I am not the best at idle small talk to fill time...It's just that nothing comes to mind really to say..

So I am sure he thought I was being rude and whatever...I hope he doesn't...he is a very nice guy...oh well..

I guess sometimes we are rude when we don't even mean to be...another part of being human...

2 Comments:

  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    You can still recover if you have his e-mail address. People are pretty forgiving...even if it's just akwardness that we're talking about. if you want to see him again, I suggest sending him a short note...just my 2 cents, on sale for half price :)

    Steve

     
  • At 3:23 AM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    I say write to him and send a link to this blog post. Nothing to lose ;)

    Communicating is awkward sometimes.

    "...but he never offered his number and we never talked about a second meeting.."

    Did you? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home