My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Online Dating...Successful? - Survey Says...

Online dating...its an absolutely interesting concept begun in my lifetime. What an amazing thing that we actually develop relationships first online and then meet in person. I was at a local coffee shop the other night thinking abot whether or not this form of dating or rather searching actually works.

I thought back about all the dates I have had over the years and there have been many...I thought about all the disturbing encounter I have had....then I thought about all the awkard situtations I found myself in...then I remember some of the amazingly nice people I met... However..in truth..in my honest opinion..to this point in my life this form of "dating" has not worked.

However it cannot really be looked at in such simplistic terms. Online dating is not the answer to someone not having a relationship. It is simply another avenue for someone to continue the pursuit of a relationship. Just like many people congregate in bars, or scope out the "possibilities" in the local produce aisle...

I asked several of the people in my life what they thought of this....many of their responses were on the negative side...meeting on the internet seemed "shady" or "scary"....I do not really view it that way, but I have moved way beyond the initial excitement of being able to meet someone on the net.

It is just as hard as meeting someone in a bar though...many times even harder because online you have absolutely no ability to "see" (so to speak) the real personyou are talking to. You see a picture if you are lucky and read what they type....

I also think that many times it definitely depends on the intentions of the person doing the searching. If you are looking for sex, you will be HIGHLY successful (at least in the gay world)...if you are looking for friends, you will be somewhat successful. If you are looking for a relationship, well....all I can say is good luck.

I mean anything is possible though...and even though my own personal survey of experiences gives the net a negative score on the relationship side...my survey does have a margin of error when applied to other people's lives...

11 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    So I was just passing by and thought I would say "Hey". My comment on online dating; been there, done that, still single...people can't seem to tell the truth!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger A BOY & HIS TOY said…

    I was in Dallas the weekend before last. I had a GREAT GREAT time! Will be coming up again... will let you know ahead of time before then.

    ~Jason

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    Never tried it. It just seems strange to me for some reason.
    But "a boy and his toy" sure looks cute (the one above)!

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger shine said…

    Online dating is fine as long as you do not meet him/her!!!

    :0P

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Worse than bars for me, far too much room for false advertising and no real-time dynamics.

    I'll take my chances in the tool ailse at Home Depot -- lol.

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Yeah - I have to agree Jim - haning around with "tools" is usually much more fun than chatting with people online :-)

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger MadeInDade said…

    Hey there, I came across your blog and would like to give you my opinion on online dating if that's okay .. I think one of the most important things is where you look for someone. I just got into the whole online dating thing myself and my biggest concern was how do I really know who I'm talking to? There's nothing worse than meeting someone in person for the first time and realizing they look nothing like you imagined or even worse nothing like they claimed to be. Alot of people warned me that it wasn't safe and most of my friends thought it was pretty lame, but they weren't helping me find anyone so I had to try it. I got into webdate.com, they have video chatrooms and you can see who your talking to and although I haven't found anyone yet it definately makes the whole searching experience more entertaining. Hope you find what you are looking for, good luck with your experiences!

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    MadeinDade - good point and good comments! Definitley matters where you look for the other person...different sites give you different quality people!

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger JULIO said…

    Thanks to online dating (WEBDATE.COM) I am now Very Happily MARRIED!!! YAAAAYYYYYY. I just wanted to let eveyone know that if you really want to get a date you will and you will fall in love with a wonderful peson online. Wish you tons of luck. Highly recomended site to find love. Webdate.com
    JulioU

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger dianne_lone said…

    It is! Webdate*com improved my social and sex life!! Thanks to webdate*com! Yey!

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Cassandra3383 said…

    I tried several dating sites before but turn out almost all the sites are chock-full of bull...I agree that webdate is a good place to meet new friends...I tried it myself and so far the men I got to date are all nice.kudos!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home