My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Friday, January 27, 2006

I Just Don't Understand People - I Really Don't

I am always shocked at how people respond when there vehicle is damaged. I am even more shocked how people who usually know nothing about the insurance industry can act like experts about my job.


It is typical for me to get yelled at or cursed out on a daily basis by so called "customers". Recently I had a customer drop the F-Bomb on me 8 times in one conversation. You can easily see how I do not buy into the age-old mantra "the customer's always right".

In my most humble and accurate opinion, the customer is usually wrong. Now that is of course painted and influenced by my job and my experiences.

But if customers only knew how much the insurance industry actually bends over backwards to settle claims and complete investigations, I think they would be shocked. At least my company does!

I personally work late almost every day and I come in on weekends to make extra calls and return calls and follow up on files. I do not get paid extra for this. I get no bonus for this. I get no kudos from the customers. They do not know that I am working all these extra hours so their case can be closed quicker, and many times they don't care. They still complain that it is not fast enough.

Now of course I understand that emotions run high because you are dealing with peoples vehicles and indirectly with their jobs, independence, etc.

But sometimes I sit back in my chair at work and I just take a deep breath and I think to myself:

"Do these people even consider me human? Do they realize that I am at a job just like they are? That I make a car payment just like them? That I pay insurance just like them? That I am overworked just like them? That I eat, sleep, smile, have people that love me just like them?"

I don't think they do. I am not a person to them. I am an entity who they feel they have the right to yell at, curse out, interrupt, and insult at will. And many times I can actually hear in their voices that they feel justified in doing it.

That is what shocks the hell out of me.

I am always shocked when people yell at me that I am purposely delaying their claim!

My Response: "So let me understand you ma'am...you think I am purposely delaying paying your claim so that I can have you call me everyday and yell and cuss me out. Yeah that makes a lot of sense because I don't know about you but I love coming to work to get cussed out. Absolutely makes my day!"

I mean come on people - lets actually use some logic!

Or the statement made....You just don't wanna pay my claim!

My Response: "If I could pay your claim today so that you would never call me again...trust me, your check would be in the mail."

Now I am not saying all people who work in insurance are good and perfectly honest people...but which industry is perfect.

Doctors commit horrible atrocities all the time...ministers are no better many times. Do I even need to mention politicians?!?!

There is no solution to the issue really...people will always mistrust insurance companies and that is fine.

I just think people need to start realizing that a car is just a car..and people are people. We need to get our priorities straight!

****NOTE - DO NOT USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO POST ALL OF YOUR NIGHTMARE INSURANCE STORIES IN MY COMMENTS SECTION BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THEM! I UNDERSTAND - TRULY I DO - I JUST DON'T CARE :-) :-)

3 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Matt said…

    In spite of dealing with these mean and rude people day in and day out, you still keep an optimistic attitude! Your post for Saturday is inspirational. Thanks, Matthew!

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Nettie said…

    I love your end line!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger kevin said…

    I currently work for a consumer reporting agency that serves most of the major insurance companies in America. I can't tell you how many times I get a call from someone who shares with me that they think this (the claims database, insurance scoring, etc,) is just another way for the insurance companies to make money. I've recently started responding that insurance companies are like most indivuduals in that they'd rather make more money than less money. Do these same people wave their newly purchased Whopper in the face of the cashier at Burger King and say, "You know, this is just another way for the fast food industry to make money?" Where do these people come from?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home