My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Have You Ever Felt Invisible? - What Causes It?

So for some reason I have this ability to walk into a business and poof!...voila... shazam....I vanish! I mean it is absolutely uncanny.

I cannot tell you the number upon number upon number of times I go into Starbucks, place my order and then wait patiently while drink after drink after drink is made and passed to other customers...yet my drink never comes...customers who ordered after me get their drinks and go about their day and I am left waiting. I am forced with 2 options:

***Interrupt the barista to ask what happened to my drink
***Try and wait patiently to see if they remember my drink

One time I decided to play a little game to see how long it would take them to acknowledge me. I was in no hurry so I did this little experiment. About 15 - 20 minutes later I was finally noticed by the barista and asked what my drink was...phew

This has happened time after time after time...so not quite sure whats up with that.

Today I walked into my haircut place and same thing happened. It is almost as if I vanished into the background. It was uncanny how no one in the haircut shop acknowledged me. It was weird because when I walked in, one of the employees looked at me and nodded his head towards a chair implying I should take a seat and wait because he was in the middle of cutting someone's hair.

Again I was in no hurry so I decided to wait and see how long it would take anyone to acknowledge me. I waited for over 45 minutes until someone finally acknowledged me to sign me in because they have to sign you in.

At first I was a little upset, but I quickly calmed down and again found it as interesting as my coffee experience.

Now I am just pondering the question, how is it that some people just tend to blend in and disappear and not get noticed.

12 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    I think it's just luck that you blend in. I'm not sure if I would have waited so long for coffee or a haircut.

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger abnitude said…

    its hard to guess the blend theory since i dont know you matthew. i enjoy anonymity, its easier to come and go but when you need personal service like a haircut, thats not good. i think you are either drawn to those places that like to abuse their patrons or you may really be morphing from visibility to invisibility. i also have a friend that once told me that i get a look on my face that makes me unapproachable, an i never did that intentionally. good luck with the coffee, maybe try dunkin doughnits..their blend isnt too bad and they may be more receptive.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Jack Hampster said…

    The question is - if I leave a comment - doesn't that mean I saw the post? :D

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Jack - ha ha - too funny

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Steve and Abnitude - i agree - both comments are valid - maybe I will try dunkin :)

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger deanos said…

    Matthew,
    I am surprised you could 'blend in' anywhere with the way you look. You are a handsome guy that I would notice right away. I promise, if you ever have the desire to come to Houston, I will be sure to notice you and acknowledge you very quickly.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Matthew,
    Have you considered you are not as invisible as you think you are? I have seen your profile online in various places(MySpace, Connexion, etc.). I have also seen you around town. I think you are an incredibly handsome guy.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Deanos - i recently made a trip to dallas where i live - maybe someday we can meet when i come to texas!

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Anonymous,

    Thanks - that is sweet of you to say - and very encouraging :-)

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger BRETTCAJUN said…

    I am an impatient person. So, I am there staring at all the people working and they quickly help me before I blow a gasket.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous nettie said…

    well, if you sat on someone already getting a haircut, they'd notice you.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Nettie - LOL - that is so true :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home