My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Working Out Early - I Am NOT A Morning Person

Yesterday Samuel and I discussed going to the gym this morning before we went to work. Actually I was the one who brought up the topic on this particular day. Samuel had pondered it before but I had always rejected it because I am not a morning person at all.

So last night before bed, I went back and forth on whether I was going to actually go to the gym. Samuel was getting very frustrated with me because I would not make up my mind and commit to going to the gym. Finally I decided to go the gym and it was decided - the final decision: I would go to the gym.

Now there are a few reasons that I tried to avoid/back out/skip out on going to the gym in the morning. The major reason being that I am not a morning person. The second is that each time we talked about it, the time that we needed to get up in the morning kept getting earlier and earlier.

At first, the agreed compromise time was 6:30 am...then 6:00 am...then we really needed to get to the gym by 5:30 am at the latest...but then when he thought about it we really needed to be there by 5:00 am and probably should get up at 4:30 am so that we could go to the store before-hand....

I joked with Samuel that by next week we would be waking up at 3:15 am so that we could REALLY get a good workout...

So at 4:30 am my alarm went off (actually Sam's alarm went off and woke me up) - yes that is right..his alarm was so loud it went from his room across two rooms and woke me up in my bedroom on the opposite side of the house....

I woke up cursing him and wanting to just slap the son of a bitch...

So we arrive at the gym around 5:30 after going to the store - we do a workout of lower body and abs and cardio - as usual Sam did work out harder than I did....

I am just lucky I didn't collapse from it being so early in the damn morning...

After the workout, Samuel and I hit starbucks for a little coffee and the paper. That was the part I really liked - anyone who knows me, know that I LOVE my coffee and a newspaper...

So looking back on the whole experience...yes it was hard, but I actually did like getting my workout done in the morning...I felt energized until around 5:30 pm when I was ready to crash...

So will I be going to workout anymore in the mornings....

Abso-fucking-lutely NOT!

I hate getting up in the mornings....didn't you guys read the title of this post? :-)

11 Comments:

  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger ElovesU said…

    I hate mornings too...thats why i wake up the latest that i can to get somewhere on time to the last minute...i snooze my alarm 2wice before ill even get out of bed..lol im so bad

    LOVE
    ~ELMO

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    4:30 AM?
    Four thirty in the morning?
    4 1/2 hours after midnight?

    You realize that most days that is when I go to bed! lol

     
  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    I am with ya bro. I tried the mornign routine and though I liked the fact that no one was at the gym, it was jus too easy to shot of the alarm and say to myself...sleep? Workout? Sleep? workout...ok...SLEEP!

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Mr. Brian said…

    maybe what you need is a little AM teaser. I've always been a morning person, but over the past couple years, later mornings have been much more inviting.

     
  • At 3:13 PM, Blogger BRETTCAJUN said…

    I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! I love working out in the gym in the AM. That is when I have most of my energy. How are you feeling now? Tired? Horny? I definitely have an insane amount of energy (and lusty feeling) when I am in the obsessive compulsive gym swings. (which I am in now) Congrats Matthew!

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger CR said…

    That is way to early for anyone to be up. I wake up at the last minute and I am always rushing to get to work. I guess it is a good thing I don't work out in the morning or I would never do it at all.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger savante said…

    Takes a helluva man to wake up in the morning just to be tortured at the gym :) I need lots of incentives to even drive there.

    Paul

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    I know what you mean Im not a morning person either.

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger The Persian said…

    I hate going to the gym...way too many people to fight over machines with. I workout at home, anytime I feel like it. May not work for everyone but I'm very disciplined.

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Nettie said…

    There's gyms actually open that early? And people that go to them to make them open?

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger The Gock said…

    pussy...

    before I had my second child two months ago I used to get up at 3:30a just so that I would have enough time to workout for 90 minutes in the basement, take a shower, get wife/kid ready, eat breakfast, and get to work by 7a with my daily commute.

    All that with going to bed at 10 or 10:30p.

    Now-a-days I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 hours of sleep and I'm not working out regularly (yet)... but I'll be right back at the 3:30 bit as soon as the kid starts sleeping regularly!

    So quit yer whinin'....

    now - on with the secret. When I first started getting up at 3:30a I actually caught myself dozing off into never-never-land between sets and resting WAY more than your 30-60 second interval. A normal 'glass' with half orange-juice and half water (so that you don't make yourself sick) does the trick.... drink before and/or during the first 15 mins. of your early morning workout. Loud rock music helps too. ;)

    Or don't... I don't care... pussy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home