My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

What Lies Beneath - Pay Attention To What's Going On Around You

Have you ever sat in a public place like Starbucks, a restaurant, a park bench, a library, or an internet cafe and just wondered what was going through the minds of the people around you?

Or better yet - have you ever wondered what was going on within their computers? I force myself NOT to look because I don't like public peeping Toms - but I could not help but see one guys computer tonight at Starbucks. It caught my attention out of the corner of my. I recognized the screens as Manhunt.net.

***WARNING - for all of my straight, female, or Christian readers - DO NOT type in that web address at work, home or any other place that would be considered compromising...you will be shocked at what you see - :-) You have been warned ***
(This specifically means you Nay Nay!)

Anyway - back to the story - I recognized that site b/c obviously I had come across it on the internet but specifically from the times that I had to check friends accounts for them when they didn't have internet access.

Now this is NOT a judgment at all - As an adult I say people can do whatever they want. I have tried to develop an attitude of openness and acceptance, and I have come to expect the same from those in my life. I just found it interesting that you never really know what is going on around unless you pay attention.

Tonight at Starbucks this is what I observed:

One guy sitting in a couch reading a college text book.
The guy next to him in the couch reading a pleasure book about history.
Guy next to me working on curriculum for a local middle school.
Cute guy across the way listening to an IPOD and doing some research of some kind.
Guy directly across from me checking out Manhunt.net and then leaving a message for his "Date" or "Boyfriend" stating that he has been swamped at work..LOL...hmmm
I saw more guys cruising than I can count.
People enjoying casual conversations.
People on dates at the local ice cream shop right across the breezeway.
A near accident in the parking lot.
A woman wearing a tragic mistake she obviously thought was a dress!
I saw people smiling, people seriously intent on their individual projects.
I saw sadness and obvious loneliness

I guess the main thing is that I saw. So many times I find myself going and going and going and not stopping to realize what is going on around me.

I don't really care what all these people were doing but stopping to notice the small things happening around you teaches you to stop and enjoy the smaller things of life so that LIFE itself does not pass you by.

What did you see today?

14 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Blogger Adam said…

    I often am too aware of the things going on around me to the point where I feel overloaded. Its like an information overload. Still though it is enjoyable to watch all the goings on.

    Looks like its time to turn on word recognition mate.

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Yeah - I guess if you were too aware it could become a burden - but I sometimes love just sitting back and watching people. It can be so interesting!

    Like being a fly on a wall...

     
  • At 1:11 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    I saw 40 nearly impossible to answer questions on a Biochem midterm and 108 pre-med students breaking into a cold sweat as a result. I might have seen those same 108 students planning a public beheading of a professor but I was distracted by a cute Middle Eatern guy :)

     
  • At 2:16 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    Manhunt? Never heard of it...nope...not me! Why would you think I have any idea what THAT is? hehehehehe.

    I didn't see much of anything. I got up and wathced Survivor and then came to work...my boring life...sigh.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger Rafe said…

    Matthew,
    Thanks for a really cool post. Inspiring, reminding me to enjoy the beauty of life. I'm going to be more aware today.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger The Biased Reporter said…

    As a reporter, I'm always observant. Sometimes, people tend to drop their things while I'm watching them. I guess I'm a little too observant.

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Kristal - now you know you are not supposed to disturb the locals in the natural environment - you are simply to watch and observe...

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger The Persian said…

    Manhunt can be really good for the ego tho. I've never met a soul from there, but got 100something emails in 2 days when I joined! But there sure are some scary freaks! In general I am always noticing those around me and what they're up to.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger ElovesU said…

    What did i see today, My living room, My couch, The tv, My room, The post office, and some cute boy driving home from SUBWAY i wonder where he works

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    I am sitting in an internet cafe, facing the ocean...I see lots of people walking along the beach...people selling coconuts, a big island across the bay, and the potential for a beautiful day.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    The most interesting people watching I've done recently has been at the fair- line jumpers and those who oppose them, counting the mullets, chain saw statuers...

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger hbjock said…

    *sigh* I never really see that many interesting people at my job because it's the same people every day basically... then again, the ride home on public transport is pretty interesting at times.. especially when you have people talking and literally arguing with their own reflections in the windows! Hehehe...

     
  • At 10:25 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    never really did watch things around me but i will now!

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    i never was much on noticing my surrondings but im gonna start.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home