My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Friday, October 21, 2005

George W. Bush - The Obligatory Post

Yes - it's time....

It's time I had my post about big ole' G.W.

I have met him before - at Baylor University in Waco, Texas while I was in college. This was of course when he was Governor of Texas rather than President of the United States. When I met him, I was not out to any of my friends at school, but I was out to a select group of people outside of Waco. I was conservative and a republican to boot.

I didn't pick up the mantel of gay rights or march around with a flag. I picked up my bible and marched on mission trips. I went to conservative speeches and met people like George W. Bush. I didn't have a huge problem with G.W. when he was just Governor of Texas. He was what they called a compassionate conservative - he courted the fringe groups, the moderates, the independents, and ran on openness, fairness, and equality.

Looking back it probably didn't mean much b/c Texas is so damn conservative that even the moderates are right wing...

So needless to say I liked him...as a person. I believed he had a good heart about people, about our country, about God, about life.

Fast forward to the present...

What a difference coming out, being in a relationship for 2 1/2 years, living through hell with your family over being gay, seeing opposition to gay marriage be a unifying force to elect a conservative into office, and seeing a movement to write discrimination into the constitution can make...

I am shocked, saddened, hurt, angry, bitter, jaded, irritated, frustrated, and all around pissed off.

It is hard for me to believe that we have an administration in office that actually wants to make it illegal for me to marry someone of my same gender...someone that I could legitimately love and want to spend my life with - what is even more shocking is that instead of supporting this ban on the state level, Bush just wants to write it directly into the constitution.

The President should do some research - the only amendment ever limiting a right was prohibition and that was repealed. Amendments should be used to expand the freedoms set forth in the constitution - not limit them.

So what do I think of conservatives and republicans?

I don't hate them - in fact a few of them actually read this blog and are among the nicest people I know (Hi Nay Nay and D...at least I assumed you guys were Reps :-) )

I just cant see the world the same way they do. I am a conflict...an enigma like so many gay men out there.

I grew up conservative yet came out as a liberal gay man. I love Jesus, yet cannot find a home in the church b/c of being gay. I am an ex-republican jaded and burned by a party who wants my vote every 4 years and then says I am a second class citizen...

So in the end I choose to disregard G.W. - I can't think of him without getting upset - feeling slighted, degraded, ignored, and marginalized...

Some say he follows God - some say he IS his own god....

I don't care either way - he has made me lose so much faith in our government and in "faith" itself, that I can't and wont give him any more of my energy or time...

He just isn't worth it...

12 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    Bush is the devil's spawn in my humble opinion.

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    Bush is the devil's spawn in my humble opinion.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    I think this (in addition to many other issues) is why something like 40% of Republicans now want the Democrats in charge.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Scotty said…

    You said it so well...nothing to add except AMEN!

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    well said how much longer we got 2 put up with him? 2 long!

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Kelly & Joe said…

    You couldn't be more right! Bush is not only an embarassment to Democrats (as expected), but he's becoming the nations most embarassing leader - period. He did say he's a uniter, not a divider didn't he? We'll, he's working real hard to get everyone to realize what an idiot he is. So on that point, congrats W. You're on your way!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger ElovesU said…

    Does no one Love our president...i dont love him i just dont hate him either, its more of a aquintance

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    I admit I'm a Bush fan, but that doesn't mean I agree with all he puts forth either.

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Nettie -its ok if you like him - we still like you :-)

     
  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger ElovesU said…

    Your so cute Matthew

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger ScandinavienNova said…

    Hi

    I Just wanted to thank you for this post. I think it is so important that we straight people hear your side of this discrimination. I think that gay people are entitel to exact the same rights as I am as a straight person. But I can never ever truly understand how it feels to always have to fight for yoyr basics rights. Neither can I understand how it feels to be judge for what color e humans skin has. You know what I mean? My english is not so good I'm afraid..

    Here in Sweden gay couples are allowed to get married and since a few days back even have the rights to get the marriage blessed by the church. And gay people can adopt on the same basis as an straight couple. I guess that this is a good thing, but it bring out the evil in many people. The more rights we give to gay people, the stronger and more open the hate against theme becomes. It is so sad. It is like when the intergration between black and whites started.. But someday I hope that everyone realise that we all have the same blood running through our veins.

    Have a nice day!

    /Camilla-the hopless long-writer :)

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Camilla,

    Thank you for your thoughtful post - i agree with you - i hope that one day we can all see and accept everyone for who they are...and for who they were made to be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home