My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Control Freak - A Place For Everything And Everything In Its Place

Hello everyone. My name is Matt, and I am a control freak.

Everybody: Hello Matt.

Phew! There...I have admitted it. I am a control freak about my life. I do not deal well with change, which is funny for those who know me.

"Haven't you moved cross country three times in your life?" - you may ask?

Yes I have...but that still does not take away from the fact that I am an absolute control freak about my life. I like things in order...

I think that is the main reason why I do not venture out to bars at first, and why I am slow to venture out into a city. I do not venture out into the unknown all that quickly. I am slow, calculated, and consistent in my foward movement.

I was thinking about this earlier today in a talk with Samuel.

In my life I have gone through phases where I will party hard and hit the bars every weekend and spend hundreds and thousands of dollars partying...and then I have entered a phase where I will spend most nights at Starbucks with a coffee and relax.

I find that here in Atlanta right now I am in a "starbucks" phase becuase it is whats comfortable for me. I am in a new city, new office for work, starting a new life, and it can be overwhelming...so I retreat to a comfortable place: starbucks, my computer, a cup of coffee and online friends.

As I grow more comfortable I am sure I will venture out like I did in Dallas. I am not really that "wild" of a person - I do not like losing control because it creates the possibility for the "unknown".

My friend Sam and I are the opposites in this area. He is ok with the unknown and is very adventurous...he is slightly more "wild" than I am - so we make a great balance for each other.

I do not think I am close to curing my "controlling" attitude about my life but I don't think it is a bad thing. I think I just need to be open to new things and experience life.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    As long as you dont start controlling the people in your life I'd say youre good.

    I think we are going to need some pictures of your new home soon :)

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    I'm not really sure you have the right definition of control. Making a decision to go to (or not go to) a bar just seems like a choice to me.

    Getting your bearing on a city takes time too. Lots of new stress just means finding a balance. Sounds like you are just balancing, not a control freak :)

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    Hmm, I wonder if moving a bunch has just made you more of a control freak, on the things you can be?

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger ElovesU said…

    Controlling, can we realy be in controll. In certain events, unexpected, or unexplained, people do things that they are not in controll of. I dont think ANYONE can be in complete controll..

    Love the blog and Linked you at my site..
    http://adayinthelifeofe.blogspot.com/
    ~Elmo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home