My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Puzzles With My Niece - A Lesson Learned

I went home yesterday. For those who know me, that would sound pretty strange because I do not go home that often anymore. The dynamics with my family are interesting and would require an entire post solely devoted to that topic.

This visit was different. This visit was defined by one major theme.

The ending of one generation and the beginning of another one.

The moment I walked into my parents house, there was a different air. My dad immediately hugged me (which he never does!). My mom walked up and gave me a hug and I could swear she almost started crying. Then my niece popped up from behind the kitchen table and ran over and gave me a hug. I don't get to see my niece that often.

I was thinking about this today, and I believe I understand what went on this weekend at my parents house. My parents have come to terms with their own mortality...esp my father. Everytime I see my dad, he looks worse...in worse health...in worse everything. And it is very hard for me to watch.

Perhaps that is why I do not visit as much anymore. There are other reasons too which I will visit in future blogs.

Anyway...we had dinner, watched the UT - Ohio State football game and had good times. I was about to leave when my niece asked me to stay and work a puzzle with her. I decided to stay. Even though I love getting back to my life in Dallas and being able to lose myself in the city, I decided to take some time and slow down and spend some time with family. It was a little strange, but I did have a good time.

I saw two generations and realized the blessings of both. One on the way out, and one just beginning. I was in the middle and suddenly I realzed...

I need to slow down and enjoy my life before it passes me by and I lose all that was given to me as a gift...

6 Comments:

  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    Glad you had an enlightening time, how old is your niece?

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    My niece is 11 years old - and she is awesome!

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    See you in about 3 weeks when I get down to Salvador (making stops on my way down) and have internet access again...you should be in Atlanta by then! take care, sangroncito

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we need more people like you on the east coast.

    toby
    -http://www.tobyspinks.com

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Matt, I'm glad you had good visit with your family.

    Leaving Dallas with a good feeling towards everything will make for a softer landing in Altanta.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mattie, I am soo, soo touched by your story. Your parents hearts are softening and that is always a blessing. Your niece needs you love too. Thank you for sharing. We'll truly miss you in Big D.
    NayNay

     

Post a Comment

<< Home