My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Blatant Stupidity - Blatant Racism

It still amazes me the incredible amounts of stupidity that still exist among people in this nation.

In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the unthinkable damage brought upon New Orleans and the people therein, I am warmed by the outpouring of help and aid.

I am also saddened by what I just witnessed in a local coffee shop here in Dallas.

Two gay men were talking about the Hurricane and the devastation and loss of life.
Below is there conversation as was overheard by me:

Idiot #1: "Now I don't mean to get on my soapbox but listen. All those people in New Orleans didn't have enough money to get out. That is one excuse I am hearing. But they had enough money to have babies they couldn't afford."

Idiot #2: "I know I hear ya. There needs to be population control."

Idiot #1: "Yeah maybe that is why they delayed for good reason in sending in people to help."

Idiot #2: Audible laughter

Idiot #1: "By delaying they are going to let all those uninsured poor homes be laid to waste and developers can come in and shape up the city."


Disgust. Outrage. Frustration. Anger.

Just a few of the emotions I felt as I watched in horror as these idiots talked about the situation.

I had to say something....


So I did....

Below is the transcript of my remarks to the above mentioned Idiots!

Me: "Excuse me...I just wanted to say that I am all for people having their own opinions about things in this country, but my opinion is that you are full of shit. People are dying of hunger, of thirst, of disease...they have lost all they owned, their city is gone, their homes, their lives are gone. Everything they could ever call their own is now fucked..and all you can talk about is population control for a segment of the population that you deem worthless and a sponge on the pocketbook of society. How dare you! I hope the next time you life is fucked beyond all recognition that people talk better about you than you have about the people of Louisiana!"

At that I packed up my laptop and walked out to a coffee shop full of applause...

My work here is done for the day!

10 Comments:

  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Nettie said…

    *Applause* This isn't the time for eugenics.

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Michael said…

    Matthew, if I had been there I would have fucking kissed you for saying that....well....or hugged ya or shook your hand. Thank you for saying what I would have wanted to.

    ..except I would have thrown in a lot more explicatives. :)

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    Good for you! And I'm sorry I wasn't there with you 'cause I would have bitch slapped those two c*nts.

     
  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    Damn boy! you're good. That is awesome that you had the guts to say something.

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Anonymous sam said…

    Can I lick you? just a little?

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Matt, I love a man who stands up for what he believes. Damn sexy. Will you marry me?

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger The Gock said…

    right on brotha!!!

    How can anyone attain a degree of adulthood with a thought pattern like that? I'll never understand.

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger savante said…

    A man with balls! Hot!

    Paul

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Julia would be proud! :)

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Biased Reporter said…

    Wow, that made me mad by reading it. Sadly, I've been hearing comments like that myself. It's amazing how people say that racism and classism doesn't exist in our society, but the Katrina situation quickly dispelled that myth.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home