My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Atlanta To Dallas - The Trip From Hell

It started out good - we left around 10:00 am to leave Dallas and make our way to Atlanta. Sam and I were feeling good and I was very excited about the trip. We decided to take the northern route using I-30 and I-40 to avoid Hurricane Rita (damn bitch!)

After traveling about 70 miles we hit rain...and we would have rain and downpours and buckets and then some for the next 300 miles.....grrrrrrrr

It was so frustrating - Rita dumped a shit load up rain on us and we were only in the outer bands of the rain storms and cloud cover...I cant imagine what kind of flooding the areas got where the storm was directly over...

So we get to Arkansas - yes it was still raining. Arkansas can be summed up in a few choice words - disgust...hatred - gross...frustrating - BLEH BLAH GRRR ARG

I mainly felt like that b/c of the Hurricane Rita experience - not to mention the fact that we were driving when a tornado watch was issued for Benton Ark for 7:40 and I looked at the clock on my car and it said 7:40 - what luck?!?!

So it was raining so hard at one point I was going about 15 on the highway - I have never seen it rain so much - it was like going thru a carwash so much water was coming down - and right in the middle of it...my check engine light comes on...

Ugh...

We stop at a McDonalds and I see the most interesting people I have ever seen. I call them interesting for lack of a better word....

We drive and drive and drive some more....

It rains on and off until we hit Birmingham, Alabama.

We arrived in Atlanta around 2:00 am with the time change...all in all it took around 16 hours for a 12 hour trip - ugh ugh ugh

This is just a brief summary of my trip to Atlanta - I have lots more to blog about in the coming days!

I am using the wireless internet at Barnes & Noble...woohoo

Talk soon everyone!

8 Comments:

  • At 11:14 PM, Anonymous ThatGuy said…

    Well, my exodus does not compare to yours - but I did drive through a biblical plague of love bugs. When I stopped to refuel the Penske - I had to scrub the corpses off the windshield just so I could see the road for the next ten miles - before refuelling again.

    Once I got above Valdosta, The swarm abated. Unfortunately, the refuelling continued.

    Glad to hear you made it safe.

     
  • At 1:07 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    Welcome Back...we ahve missed seeing you around!

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger The Gock said…

    ouch... that reminds me strongly of my Seattle to Denver in one day trip I took about 2 years ago... 20 hours of driving that turned into 27 thanks to TWO blizzards along the way. I've never wanted to see my bed so badly...

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Isnt Arkansas a hoot? I used to stop there a lot on my trips to see family in Memphis. I should have taken pictures, people still dont believe me when I tell the stories.

    16 hours isnt too bad (still not fun). My evacuee friends spent 28 hours driving from Houston to Dallas. Ouch!

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger The Great Cranky One said…

    Hey now.. I live in Arkansas and I like it here...of course i grew up in Colorado so I am not a typical Arkansan.

    I was sitting through that very storm about 20 miles from you Matt. What a hoot it would have been to have met you and Sam!

    I am glad you made it ok and are psoting again!

    -Tim

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous sam said…

    Going through Arkansas, I felt like everything was strange. The people, the hangouts, even the... "architecture." I mean, two-story trailers? Who fuckin' knew?

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger The Biased Reporter said…

    I had a friend in high school who moved to Arkansas her junior year. I can't even remember the name of the town. Her dad got a job out there or something. She's a beter person than I am. There's no way I would leave Georgia for Arkansas.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I would never leave any place for Arkansas - just my choice though - I am sure there are people who would never come to Texas :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home