My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Late For Work - A Good Deed Missed

I was not necessarily running late for work this morning. I woke up at 7:00 am and had to be at work by 8:00 am. I am working overtime right now because of the hurricane catastrophe so my hours are from 8:00 am - 7:30 pm. So yeah...I woke up with plenty of time.

I got dressed and walked out the door at 7:45 am because I am only 10 minutes from work. As I entered onto Highway 635, the big Loop around Dallas, I hit 3 slowdowns because of prior accidents.

8:00 am hit and I was not at work yet. The prior day my manager had mentioned something about me not logging in right when I get to work so I had made it a point to get to work on time today.

Well that definitely was not going to happen now. I was within 3 miles to work and it was 8:04 am. I passed by this truck with two guys standing outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was obviously disabled and I could see at least one flat tire.

As I passed by them, one guy had his head halfway lowered and half-heartedly stuck out his thumb in a vain attempt to get me to stop and help. For some reason, it really hit me. That simple gesture showed that he did not think I would stop but he had to at least attempt.

I would have stopped. I wanted to stop. I really did. For some reason I really wanted to stop this time and help them out. Lord knows I have been disabled many times on the side of the road when no one had stopped to help me.

But I didn't - and why didn't I?

Because I knew that if I stopped I would be at least 30 - 45 minutes late to work and that would not cut it for my manager....sigh

Oh well - I hope they got help.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Justin said…

    Awww! I hope they got help too!

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger The Biased Reporter said…

    I don't blame you. I wouldn't have stopped either. But I hope they got help!

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Me too - i hope they got help!

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Blogger Scotty said…

    You are just too sweet! Feeling guilty for not stopping. I have been there but outgrew it when I got old and jaded! lol.

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Sometimes you stop, sometimes you don't. That's just life--at least for me. I helped a random stranger last week, but only because it fit into my schedule. Is that selfish? nope.

     
  • At 9:30 AM, Blogger savante said…

    I would want so badly to stop but I wouldn't. Reason is I wouldn't be able to do anything except scream for help too :) I know nothing about cars! I'd be even worse.

    I could give the guy a whole body physical though. Does that help?

    Paul

     

Post a Comment

<< Home