My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Republicans - Democracy, Dictatorship, or Theocracy?

Now anyone who knows me knows that I am so PRO-AMERICA!

I do not support America-Bashing at all!

I am blessed to have been born in the USA and to have enjoyed all the advantages and freedoms that come with American citizenship. For example:

* I can criticize my government anytime I want
* I can travel where I want no questions asked
* I make more money in one week than many people make in a year in many parts of the world
* I can gather in public protest
* I can choose which religion I want to follow

etc., etc., etc......

I LOVE AMERICA! But lately I am beginning to question the current administrations committment to these freedoms!

For example:

* Bush wants to outlaw gay marriage and write discrimination into the constitution. He wants to classify me as a second class citizen
* He pre-emptively attacks other nations and interferes in their political arena even though WE would NEVER allow that to happen here
* He promotes a political agenda influenced more by personal theology - completely against the principle of separation of church and state

The list could go on and on...

Now I voted for George W. Bush in the year 2000. He was running on a platform of compassionate conservatism. Something happened when he was elected. He left that platform and became more influenced by the conservative right.

I grew up in a conservative home and even after I came out as a gay man, I continued to suppport the republican party b/c I believed they had the best interest of the nation at heart.

I no longer believe that.

Unfortunately, I am left to believe that the only interest the republican party has is to spread its policies and theologies both here and abroad. And even though I personally believe in Jesus and the cross (I know its a shock, but I also believe in the right for everyone to choose for themselves what they believe..so no harm, no foul, and no nasty comments about that!), I do not believe it should be espoused from the White House.

We specifically separate those two ideoligies (government and religion) to keep our nation from being a theocracy. It did not work in England when we fled to the new world. We did not like the head of the church also being head of the government. I dont think we should have that here.

In 2008, I will not be able to support the Republican Party. I am a democrat. Not really by choice but by a lack of options. The Republican Party has turned its back on me and now the Democratic party has accepted me with open arms and does not judge. What choice do I have? I will not be like the abused spouse who returns to the abuser.

The Republican Party has slapped me around for the last time.

Democrats...I am coming home!

That is of course unless Condoleeza Rice runs under the Republican ticket - HA HA!
:-) :-)

3 Comments:

  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    lol ... I don't know how to respond to that :)

    ~B

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Partisan politics has never been my thing. I have voted Democrat about 90% of time but I will reserve the right to vote the person that I believe will execute the greater good for everyone, regardless of their party affiliation. Tough call, case by case.

    If it was between CR and HC, sheesh, I dont know, not enough tangible information.

    Heres an idea - Angelina Jolie 2008. ;)

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    woohoo - ANGELINA 2008! - but I dont know how I feel about Brad being the First Lady...er..uh..I mean First Husband!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home