My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Jesse Helms - How Did This Man Get Elected SO MANY TIMES?

It does not say much for the people of North Carolina that this racist of a man was elected so many times to the floor of the Senate to represent them.

I lived in North Carolina for about 6 months and I loved the state on the outside. It was incredibly beautiful. Now living there for only 6 months I did not become involved too much in the political landscape...and for that matter I did not research it much.

But one person I knew about was Jesse Helms.

In his memoirs which are soon to be published, Helms apologizes for his stance on AIDS but NOT on his stance for segregation.

I think it is embarrassing for the people of North Carolina to have elected such a man to the floor of the Senate.

He stands for INEQUALITY, INJUSTICE, and RACISM.

Check out the story on
  • CNN
  • 5 Comments:

    • At 2:16 AM, Blogger Jim said…

      HE is one of the reasons why I am reluctant to move to the RDU area.

       
    • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Brechi said…

      yeah, he's one of the old guard.

       
    • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Michael J. West said…

      Jim, You should move to the RDU area anyway, esp. Chapel Hill. It's maybe the most liberal town in the Southeast.

       
    • At 5:59 PM, Blogger Jim said…

      Michael, RDU is still a primary target once I'm armed with a MS Bioinformatics. Actually you corroborate several friends' stories that have recently moved to the area. Chapel Hill must be NC's version of Austin; liberal oasis in a desert of conservatism.

       
    • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Brian said…

      RDU, esp. Chapel Hill, is pretty liberal, in fact, I think it's similar to most texas cities, but definitely NOT as liberal as Austin. Austin is really out there, and CH seems to carry some more traditional ties, not in a bad way, just a lean to conservatism you don't get in Austin. You have a very large, affluent, gay community in Cary, so the Triangle definitely has options.

      The interesting part of Jesse Helm's statement is that he DOES identify some of the reasons for the AIDS epidemic, reckless, voluntary behavior and that it applied only to high-risk populations. Is it an apology or a statement of fact? Crafty politicians often construct these 'apology-like' statements, that are not really showing an acceptance of 'I was wrong about this prejudice' but rather 'I was wrong about this fact.'

      I'm clearly not a fan. 75% of my family comes from carolina, and I have to go there at LEAST twice a year. It's never pleasant.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home