My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Movie Review: War of the Worlds - A Battle Plan Gone Wrong!

I went to see War of the Worlds last night. I usually dont go see opening movies during the week, but I decided to give in. I dont particularly enjoy Tom Cruise as an actor. I actually went b/c Stephen Spielberg was directing, and he is an awesome director.

So about seeing the movie. One word of advice: DON'T!

At the end you will wish you hadn't. It is disjointed and Cruise gives one of his worst performances that I can actually remember. And Dakota Fanning (who I absolutely adore) was so annoying I just wanted to slap her the whole damn time. Can someone please just shut her up in this movie.

The acting is stiff, and the plot...oh wait...believe it or not there is NO plot. I mean you would think there would be. Aliens come to earth and try to take over. Yeah it looks like a plot, sounds like a plot, but the analogy doesnt hold true. It has all the appearances of a great plot but somehow it gets lost.

The special effects are great! But at times I actually found myself saying out loud, "Geez just move this along" and "God..shut her up" and "Ok...this scene could have been deleted."

So yeah - i feel like I wasted my 7.50 to go see this movie. But oh well....

I give it 1 1/2 out of 4 stars.....

Actually in thinking back, the best parts of the movie are the monologues spoken by Morgan Freeman at the beginning and ending of the movie....

6 Comments:

  • At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank god. A black man has the best part of a movie once again.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger The Biased Reporter said…

    Goes to show that Hollywood is progressing! He-he.

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Crap, I was looking forward to this one. Maybe with matinee and student discount pricing I could justify the expense :)

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Kree Kra said…

    I thought the movie was ok. Yes the ending is confusing and Dakota Fanning is in desperate need of a cocktail, but overall I thought it was pretty good. I heard that "Bewitched" was kind of a let-down. Anyone seen it yet?

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I havent seen Bewitched yet - one of my friends said it was good - but most people have said it was also a disappointment - hmmmm....

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said…

    This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this video download site, it's pretty awesome too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home