My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

My Car Pool Buddy - A Unique Christian

I car pool to work everyday with this guy - lets call him D.

D has a wife, a young baby, and one more on the way.

D goes to seminary part time.

D is a christian.

D is quite possibly one of the nicest, coolest guys I know.

D knows that I am gay.

D does not care.

D does not agree with homosexuality, but does not judge me.

D talks with me about scripture.

D listens to worship music with me on the way home from work.

D has never told me I was going to hell.

D states he falls short every day.

D believes in the love of God.

D believes in the example of Jesus in loving those we want to help.

D is a model.

D is a great friend and the only connection I have left with the Church.

D has softened my attitude about church and christians in general.

D is a model of how Jesus would be.

The following quote was said by Madeline Albright during a sermon at Yale Divinity School:

"...We can hope that We are on God's side. We can pray that God is on our side. But we can only admit, if we are honest, that we fall far short of what God has asked and what our own consciences instruct..."

We all fall short and can only rely on the love and patience of God to bring us closer to Him...

7 Comments:

  • At 2:37 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    awesome post. My parents have FINALLY taken that approach with my partner and I. Love us unconditionally and let God do the change. Of course I don't think I will change but I respect their stand and not preaching at me lik ehtey used to.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Schlitz25 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Schlitz25 said…

    I choose to believe that there are more Christians like this in the world...Ive been sayin it for months, but im lookin to check out Jay Bakkers church. He's the Son Of The Preacher Man, James Bakker, you know the money, sex scandal original TV A/G evangelist. He believes in total grace, and has a great church in ATL, not far from my house...so im going to give it a whirl...check out the staff bios one chick talks about how she loves Black Sabbath, and Ozzy...Thats a unique Christian from where i come from...let not give up.

    http://www.vivalarevolution.org

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Great narrative about your friend. My partner and I were both raised with church in our lives; he Baptist, me Presbyterian. As we got older, church became less and less a part of our lives. By the time we met (11 years ago), we didn’t attend church at all. There are times when I feel I am missing something. A few years ago he came to me and proclaimed, “I don’t believe God exists”. I didn’t know what to say. Still don’t really. I’ve never been condemned (at least to my face) for being a homosexual. I’ve attended a couple different churches (alone) to try and find my place. I still feel something is missing in that area of my life. I’m glad you can connect with your friend.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Great narrative about your friend. My partner and I were both raised with church in our lives; he Baptist, me Presbyterian. As we got older, church became less and less a part of our lives. By the time we met (11 years ago), we didn’t attend church at all. There are times when I feel I am missing something. A few years ago he came to me and proclaimed, “I don’t believe God exists”. I didn’t know what to say. Still don’t really. I’ve never been condemned (at least to my face) for being a homosexual. I’ve attended a couple different churches (alone) to try and find my place. I still feel something is missing in that area of my life. I’m glad you can connect with your friend.

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    geez! sorry that posted twice!

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Being the rogue Buddhist on the blog I don't feel qualified to comment on anything Christian BUT ... D sounds like a good find and a good friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home