My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Small Lies - Ok or Not?

When is it ok to lie? With all of the people in our lives, when is it ok to lie to them? Is a little white lie excusable if you are telling it to not hurt the person? This is a tough question for me to answer because you have your obvious answers for each side of the debate.

I can hear people say that you should be honest with everyone because a true friend deserves the truth in every circumstance.

I can also hear people saying that you have to pick your battles and some lies about some insignificant stuff do not matter.

I guess everyone has secrets of some sort...little secrets about what you think about your partners clothes...what you think about your friends/partner's parents...etc

I am sure we have all lied about the gift we received but did not really like. The gift we could not wait to return to the store.

I guess in the end it is a subjective idea that everyone is going to have to decide for themselves...

10 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Fuck You Google said…

    Matthew, your blog rocks, bro!

    I'm so glad I found it.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Situtational ethics, defintely subjective.

    But rest assured, noone is 100% anything, including honest.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I agree with Jim, no one is 100% anything and sometimes you have to put things in context. Most of us try to live to a certain standard of ethics while others are just clueless.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    I think we've all been on the side of "should I tell them?" The way I decide to tell someone "the truth" is if it will benefit them (even if it hurts). It would not benefit someone to say, "Mary thinks your hair looks like crap." But it would benefit someone to say, "Joe, your man is cheating on you."

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Drive By Fruiting said…

    Your blog rocks!

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger BRETTCAJUN said…

    Okay... your blog post made me feel VERY guilt ridden. Matthew... the real reason we never tricked at the VIP room at Swinging Richards is because Sam told me you had a little pee pee.

    Okay... I was just joking. That was totally made up. The real reason probably had to do with my BF being there the whole time. (lol) Disclaimer: I am sure Matthew is nicely endowed... his trousers show a nice bulge.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Brett - I luv ya but that made aboslutely no sense - talk about random :-)

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger BRETTCAJUN said…

    I was TRYING to be funny and push the envelope like YOU do to ME biatch. If you can't read or understand English or my mind, then you need to go back to school little boy! :)

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm.

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Brett - you seem to be a lot more bitter and pissy these days -- hmmmm....:-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home