My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Is The Grass Always Greener? - I Think Not

I took off work early today. I had won this contest at work that allowed me to take 2 hours off early and receive no new files. So I promptly packed by bag and left work a couple hours early and raced home...eager to enjoy my extra 2 hours. I went home and rested and then went to the gym. Not wanting to run, I had to force myself to go the 3.5 miles before looking in the mirror to see myself as the walking ball of sweat I was. I came home, showered, and traveled to Starbucks to relax. It had been a while since I just sat back and listened to music and completely enjoyed an evening by myself.

The last few weeks have been non stop for me...at least in my mind they have been. My work had driven me to the breaking point. I had no strength left to give to my work. I had received 4 calls from recruiters at other jobs wanting to set up telephone interviews, in-person interviews, etc. Then last week, my job assignment at work changed...for the better. I am handling different cases now which tend to be a bit less stressful. So the number of cases I am currently handling has dropped dramatically. I decided not to pursue any of the other potential job offers.

Truth of the matter is that I actually love the company I work for. My company has been good to me...no...not just good to me. It has been great to me. I make good money for what I do, and there is not a single person in my office that I do not get along with. The have good benefits and a great profit sharing and pension program for my future. At this point in my life, these benefits outweigh the negatives that rise to the surface every now and then.

I have invested the last 5 years of my life into my current company, and it is strange but I feel a sense of loyalty to the company. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence..especially in my industry. I quit my company once before and re-hired with them. The decision to quit was for a very good reason, but it was not completely thought through. The decision to re-hire with them was an even better decision. The next time I make any career move, every possible outcome will be considered.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Scotty said…

    I've been with the same comapny 21 years...thick and thin. Loyalty speaks highly for companies now days.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    I spent 15 with the same company (in Dallas) before it shut the doors on everyone. I totally understand loyalty; however, don't be naive enough to think that your workplace will be as loyal to you. I'm not trying to be negative, just be cautious. I think you're smart to consider benefits, workgroup cooperation, etc. when making a decision to move or stay.

    I've now been with a new company for 2 years. I feel like a battered ex-wife. I work very hard for them; however, I haven't given them my heart. I like it, but it's not my life.

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    Loyalty
    If you like your job and it gets you to where you want to be in life..
    I went for a job interview late last year, I was asked to apply even though the job was mine if I wanted it. It had loads more cash and benifits....
    I love where I work I have no benifits but I do have enough money to let me enjoy life. I told my employers ( who are the best I have ever had) I turned down a job they were a little concerned I was not happy.... they gave me 25% of the company...
    Now I'm really happy :)

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    I burned my bridges many times in my working life and I often regreted it later, despite the initial feeling of elation (I was famous for walking out or telling them exactly how I felt).
    Thinking out the pros and cons is a good idea.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home