My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Blatant Rudeness - I Just Don't Understand

I was running late to work this morning. I had to go into work late due to some errands I had to run. It was about 8:30 am and I decided to stop and get my usual grande mocha from Starbucks. I waited patiently in line along with the other 11 people. Yes...it was a busy time in the good ole starbucks.

The lady in front of me started talking to the lady behind me. Exchanging pleasantries...catching up...the lady behind me asked the one in front how everything turned out with the new painting of their house. They talked about working out at the gym, how work was going, etc. Blah, blah, blah...:-)

They held up the line but only for a few seconds..nothing major. I certainly was not in a hurry. Now having them hold up the line was not a big deal.

So the two women paid for their respective drinks and continued talking and catching up. They were smiling and laughing and joking and carrying on. To the passer-by it appeared that best friends had just reconnected.

We were all waiting over by the counter where the starbucks barista places the prepared drinks for the customers to pick up. The lady that was originally in front of me was laughing up a storm when her drink was called and placed on the counter.
She picked up the drink and then it happened.

I saw my first true "Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde" experience...It was absolutely uncanny and caught everyone off guard...especially the poor Starbucks barista who served the drink.

The brown haired smiling, jovial, laughing woman transformed into a being from another world. Her eyes winced, her nose squished up, her smile turned WAY upside down, the wrinkles and crow feet around her eyes jumped out at you like bat out of hell...the transormation was quite shocking.

And then in a blunt and excruciatingly rude,loud voice proceeded to announce: "This coffee feels a little light. Fill it up more!"

Immediately upon completing her shouting at the barista, she turned right back around and began smiling again and continued laughing with her friend. I looked over at the barista with a confused look on my face and the barista's mouth was half open in shock that she had apparently just served her first bi-polar customer.

Now I realize reading those words, they do not appear that rude. But like most things in life, it is all in the presentation. If you had seen the way that woman transformed and the way she shouted at the starbucks employee and then immediately turned right back into the laughing, smiling friend...it was all too weird.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    I wonder if her name was Julie...an old boss I had when I lived in Dallas. People like that suck. You painted a very clear picture - I've seen it way too often.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    "feels a little light"??? Besides being rude, she's tacky! Hello, lady, it's just a cup of coffee.

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    Oh wow, I know the type!!

    If I heard her say that, I think I would have totally called her out on it. Something about people being rude to other people who are serving them just gets under my skin. I was a waiter once back in the day, and you see all types of idiots with off-the-wall complaints. I actually dated a guy who was bi-polar. He emabrassed me all the time.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger SingleMomE said…

    You are hilarious! That was an awesome story. Do you write for a living?

    What a freak of a woman. I can just picture the crow's feet pulling away from her eyes. Oh I hate those wrinkles...they're the worst ones! Anyhoo, liked your story. Ummm, any idea how I can become a member of this blog? I've tried to log onto other's but I can't figure it out. Anyway, Thanks for the laugh.

    E

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger The_Gay_Dude said…

    Being someone who was a manager for a Starbucks for over 5 years.....I can tell ya that I ain't shocked by this!!!! Customer Service has gotta be one of the toughest jobs in the world....cuz some of these people act like clerks are their paid servants! Good for you for being enlightened enough to see the disparity in this woman's actions.....in my experience.....it's usually only the employees who notice such things......usually the rude behavior of one patron.....just seems to breed ruder behavior from those who witness it!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    Customer services reps of most kids tend to be the most underpaid, underappreciated people. Sprint employees excluded, of course. I hope Bush targets Sprint in the "War on Terror." He'd still be the anti-christ but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home