My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My Mariah Rant - My Fascination With My Hoochie-Mama

Anyone who knows me know that I was never a Mariah Carey fan.

But that has all changed. I did not know how talented she really was.

So yes another hole is punched on my gaycard......

Here is a run down on some interesting facts about Mariah's musical career!

* The only artist to have their first 5 singles hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100

* 16 #1 hits on Billboard (3rd behind the Beatles and Elvis)

* The longest running single on Billboard 100 (One Sweet Day - 16 weeks)

* The only artist to have 2 consecutive songs ("Fantasy" and "One Sweet Day") debut at #1 on Billboard 100 - she would have a 3rd #1 debut with the single "Honey" on her Butterfly album

* With U.S. sales of over 60 million albums and 24 million singles (as of April 2005) and Worldwide sales surpassing 200 million singles and albums, Mariah Carey is the Biggest selling Female Artist in Music History

* In 1999, Mariah was awarded the Billboard award for Artist of the Decade, crowning her as the biggest-selling artist of the 1990s.

* Mariah is the artist with the record for most consecutive years with a #1 single; she is the only artist to have a single reach #1 for every year of the 1990s.

* Mariah is the only artist to have every debut single from each album top the charts in the 90s. (Her run was broken in 2001 when (Click link for more info and facts about Loverboy) Loverboy peaked at #2.

* Mariah has the most (10) platinum singles in the US by a female artist.

* Mariah is the only female artist to have 9 consecutive albums RIAA- certified for at least 3 million copies sold.

* The Most widely heard song in history (We Belong Together - 212 million on 1 wk)

Obviously this is not an all-inclusive list - but it's a start to wet your appetite...

9 Comments:

  • At 12:47 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    Hmmmm...I never knew.

     
  • At 1:25 AM, Blogger Noeha said…

    Not to mention the octaves she can reach...! Not my favorite, but she does have some talent.

     
  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    I think a lot of people have a love/hate relationship with Mariah. I like a lot of her ballads. I started to turn on her after the second boob job, the increasingly short Daisy Dukes, and the gangsta' ho image debut.

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger The Gock said…

    I'm sorry but... I don't care how famous she is. I still wish to puke upon her.

    Now I'm not much of a Country music fan (my wife is)... but Lee Ann Womack is a real woman... the essence of a real, fine, genuine, woman. She's not a pop princess... just a real woman who can REALLY sing... her beauty exudes naturally without clingy designer clothes or pounds of makeup.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Kree Kra said…

    YES! I was worried that all you queens would be singing her praises. I don't know what it is about her...but I'm with the gock, I would sooner puke on her than look at her. hahaha.

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    I recently saw one of those news bios on her and I must say I was impressed by her achievements, too.
    Her music is a bit too over the top for me but she has had an amazing career.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Gock - now you know i love ya and all you guys...

    but...NO ONE in their right mind can actually make the comment that Mariah can't sing...

    You may not like her image!
    You may not like her songs!
    You may not like her diva attitude!

    All that is fine...

    but no one who is vocally trained or in the music business will ever say that MARIAH CAN'T SING!

    She is according to most experts the most talented and gifted singer vocally....she has a 5 - 7 vocal octave range.....

    :-) :-) :-)

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous sam said…

    I thought she went into the Guiness Book for her 8 octave range. I could be wrong about that, but regardless, I'm a fan. Not a fanatic, but a fan. I didn't see Glitter, either.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I did not see Glitter and I never will - lol -

    Now that would be a waste!

    I am only defending her singing ability!

    Her acting INABILITY can be attacked at will! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home