My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

First Impressions - Have People Forgotten How To Make A Good One?

So most of us have jobs. Some of us even like or love our jobs. But all of us NEED our jobs no matter what they are.

Now almost everyone by now knows I work in insurance. They know that I am an adjuster. But it is always interesting to tell new guys that I meet in person or talk to online b/c I love hearing their reactions.

When you first meet someone, you should want to make the best possible impression. You should respect the other person and simply learn about them without judgement, without attack.

But, I am always amazed at what some people say!

On more than one occasion, I have had guys go off for 20 minutes or more about how they hate insurance companies, even my company by name, and even adjusters in general.

I am like....HELLO! MCFLY!!! You are talking to me for the first time and you are bitching about my profession, even my company, and even me in general. Do you think this is scoring you points? Do you want me to bitch about whatever "9 to 5" has you trapped? Would you like me to tell you all the negative things about your corporation.

I mean come on...have people truly forgotten how to make a good impression.

What really cracks me up is that after they finish their rant...I am usually just silent. And they are like..."Hello??" "Are you there?". I respond with a simple yes b/c what am I supposed to say to such stupidity. If you dont like my job then hang up on me, hell dont even talk to me...but dont make me listen to your pathetic gripes...b/c ya know what...I listen to people like you ALL DAY LONG.

Then they wonder why I dont call back....hmmmmmmm.....

And P.S. - on most days I love my job b/c the people I work with are wonderful. The job itself can be tough, but it can also be rewarding every now and then! Even I have to admit that.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    I agree that first impressions are usually the best.

    I guess I'm confused as to why someone would attack you based on profession. I usually just want to know if someone is happy with their career since that is the most important thing to me.

     
  • At 12:22 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    You would think so Jim. I agree with you. It matters more if they like what they are doing....some guys are just idiots

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger hbjock said…

    Yeah... I would hate to be judged just on what I do for a living. There's so much more to a person than that... Who knows, maybe the person just does the job because they need the money... Or maybe there's so much more to the job than what the general public knows.

    For me, it's always been that because I choose to have a job that doesn't really pay very well, but I enjoy it... people stop talking to me just because I'm not making the big figures. Not that I don't want to make the big money.. because I do.. but, hell if I'm going to make big money, I want to be able to enjoy my job, you know? =))

    Some guys are just total idiots.. I couldn't have said it better myself.

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Blogger purpletwinkie said…

    Well, I love my insurance company. Do I score +++points? haha

    On 6/24 we left for Hawaii on vacation. That morning my partner was rear-ended by a tourist at a traffic light. I called the insurance company to let them know. When we returned, my agent had everything ready to roll, from the rental car pickup to the auto body shop. It was great.

    Don't despair, there are guys out there who like their insurance companies. Keep kissing the frogs.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Yeah - the ones who love the companies are few and far between.

    Insurance is something none of us want but all need...we just dont like paying for it..he he

    oh well -- here is to insurance companies everywhere..ha ha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home