My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Learning From Our Mistakes - Tough to Do!

Learning from our own mistakes can be the hardest thing to do.

Even though we know that we are flawed and make mistakes every day, we can become frozen when actually confronted with our short comings. And I would venture to say that it hurts us more when we are confronted by someone we actually respect and admire.

There is a new guy at my office. He is great. He is a wealth of knowledge about insurance and I have learned a lot about him, and I have a great time with him in our unit. I am really glad that he is a part of our office.

Sparing you all the drama, he basically told me today that in some respects I was unprofessional. Now at first, I was shocked. Then my shock turned to confusion. Then my confusion turned to hurt when I realized he was serious. Then my hurt turned to angry defiance. And now, my angry defiance has turned into acceptance and understanding.

I joke a lot and I have a great time at work. I try to lighten up the unit. I mean after all, we ARE insurance adjusters so our jobs are naturally stressful anyway.

But like many good hearted people my joking can be carried too far. So instead of being upset, pissed off, or depressed, I am going to take what he said and try to improve and make myself a better employee. Sometimes its best to take everything in that someone says to you. Discard what isnt applicable and take the truth and build upon that. And then simply grow and move on. So that is what I am going to do.

No longer am I going to take advantage of our dress code. I am a major offender. I do not dress business casual monday - thursday and casual on friday. I dress CASUAL all week long. From now on, I will dress like the business professional that I actually am.

No longer will I take advantage of my managers flexibility with my schedule. Everyone else in my unit is on set schedule so I should be too. It's only fair. I work the same amount of hours, but they tend to change quite consistently. Plus I know that if I had an emergency my manager would completely understand. So I will respect all my co-workers and have a set schedule as well.

No longer will I push a joke further than necessary. Sometimes a joke is good for one laugh and that is it. Bringing it up again might do more harm than good.

I want everyone in unit to have a great time at work. I want us to be friends and I want us to all be equals that help each other out.

Even though this guy's comments today came across as harsh, there was truth in them I think. I think I have grown so lax at my job b/c I have worked with the same people for so many years and we all love each other and get along so well.

So yes, I choose to take the truth out of his comments and build upon them to make myself a better employee. I believe this guy has a good heart so I will run with that as my basis of belief.

It is difficult to take criticism. Just ask my friend Samuel (isnt that right Sam?) But this time I choose to take it and make the best out of it...

Love you guys,

-Matt

4 Comments:

  • At 2:02 AM, Blogger Always_Adventuring said…

    I love this - it's a very valuable lesson and one that's difficult to learn. I learned this lesson a few years ago in much the same way - I was the youngest data analyst in the state working for a health insurance company. I had serious skills, no one could deny that, but my professionalism was weak and still is something I struggle with. You and I seem to have a lot in common and I'm enjoying reading your blog. Keep up the great job!

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Always - thanks for the post - yeah - I am going to start changing that first thing tomorrow - Mr. Businessman lol

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Schlitz25 said…

    What is this sly comment about me...i can take it, just fine...thank you...AND without slamming any doors....

    (thats a good return, huh!?!)

     
  • At 5:28 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    yes it is - very good return :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home