My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pushed To The Limit - What Can You Do?

So what do you do when you feel like you have given everything you can give....and then you are asked to give more?

I have been at my current job for 5 years, and I have always given 110%. But, I feel like I have given everything I could over the last year to my job. I have worked from home, worked early, worked late, worked on weekends, worked on holidays, worked on my co-workers files, taken over co-workers files, worked lists/tasks for my entire work unit, taken over tasks for my entire work unit, taken over tasks for the entire work office, trained new people coming into the office, taken on mentoring new people, worked on trainees lists/files without being asked b/c they were behind....and none of that has anything to do with my own personal responsibilities...

I am exhausted...I am tired and I am in need of a break. I am in need of more than just a vacation...problem is...I do not know what it is that I need. Even though I feel like I am on the edge, I look back over the last year in Atlanta and I simply smile.

The last year and a half in Atlanta has been wonderful. I have learned so much about myself and about life in general. I could make a long wish list of things I wish were different in my life, but in making the list, I would simply be wasting more time. Instead of making the list of things I wish were better or different, I want to live life better and different.

I was talking on the phone today to a friend of mine and I recalled the post I wrote back on June 22, 2006 entitled Party For One.

Party For One - A Glass Of Wine And Peace and Quiet

I think during my entire span of almost 2 years on this blog, this entry sums up my entire way of thinking and my entire idea of what I wanted this blog to be. I wanted it to be about me and my own self discovery. Whether I learned about myself in the arena of politics, religion, love, or just life in general, I wanted it to be an expression of who I really am. With each post, no matter how silly or serious I think I achieved that goal.

Writing is one of the few outlets, if not the only one, that can challenge me mentally, emotionally, spiritually, psycologically, relationally and so on...So here's to writing, journaling, scribbling, doodling and however else you express yourself on paper...

A great quote I heard from a recent movie, V For Vendetta:

"Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth."

And another great quote from a great woman of our time, Madonna:

"Express Yourself"....on paper that is :-)

3 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger abnitude said…

    just started reading you and i read your previous date post. you had a great idea with that and from how tired you sound, it seems you need more reflective alone time. i hope it works out.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    You've really changed alot since your early 20's and much of that happened after you moved to ATL. All of it good, I think :)

    Glad you have an outlet that challenges you. I think putting thoughts on 'paper' (not to mention publishing them to the general public) forces you to examine how you really feel about something.

     
  • At 7:02 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    Sounds like you're right where you want and need to be Matt. You'll know what change you need when the time is right.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home