My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm Not Ready To Make Nice - Words To Live By

I was driving in my car today listening to the radio which was set to the local top 40 station. I only have 1 station tuned to country in my car and lately I have been moving away from country music. I just haven't heard or found that many songs lately in the country genre that I felt were "quality". I mean lets face it..you can only hear so many songs about beer, tractors, an ex wife, and beaches. Suddenly I heard the beginning of the Dixie Chicks latest song. I was actually kind of glad to hear them on a station other than country. I have always liked them...from their first album, during the drama of insulting the President...even till now.

The Dixie Chicks aren't ready to make nice...and frankly I don't blame them. Not because I hate the President or I agree with the Chicks's politics. But I don't blame them because if you believe something strongly and it is a passionate conviction in your life, then you should stand behind that belief no matter what anyone else says.

I heard and then read the words to this song "Not Ready To Make Nice" and I was floored. Each line in the song has such depth and meaning beyond politics. This song can be applied to any person whoever believed something that a majority did not believe in. To any person whoever voiced an opinion that made others uncomfortable. To anyone whoever refused to compromise their personal beliefs and ideals. To any person who paid a price for voicing what they believed.

As the song says:

"Im through with doubt
There's nothing left for me to figure out
I've paid a price
And Ill keep paying"

When you know what you believe in and you can say that there is nothing left for you to figure out, then stand...when you are forced to pay the price, then stand...when you keep paying the price, just stand...because it is worth to keep paying the price then to compromise on what you believe in...

Furthermore:

"It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it
I made my bed and I sleep like a baby"

Sometimes, those things in life that appear to destroy everything we have are simply preparing use for a new stage in life. If you are doing what you believe in and have no regrets then you should not lose sleep and should not lose any enjoyment in life. Do not regret the things worth standing up for.

I strongly encourage each reader of this post...even if you don't like country music...click below and listen to the song "Not Ready To Make Nice." Listen to the words rather than just watching the video. Listen to how these words can be applied to each one of our lives. Let it inspire you to find out what you believe. Let it fill you with conviction to stand for what you believe in.

It is not about liberal or conservative...democrat or republican...country or pop...it's about a message of standing for our right to say what we want, when we want and how we want...and when we do speak...be ready to stand.

15 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Stammhirnlied said…

    Here in Europe we currently face, politically-correct, super-human-rights, mind-numbing, comformist-tabbing politics which is used merelly as means to curb individuality and freedom of stance and ideas (whether right or wrong) and if you dare to not comform, some group or other comes along with a big, red label-tape to make you shut up... so it's kinda nice to hear a tune which urges that tiny corner of your brain which isn't entirelly asleep, to go against the flow and be a person of sentient mind. Don't much fancy country music other than Johnny Cash, and chick songs aren't quite my cuppa tea, but this tune rocks!

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Sorted Lives said…

    Looking back, they were ahead of their times. Great song, it rocks and the lyrics hit the nail on the head.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous brad said…

    you know, i find myself in the same place as you... i like country music, but recently, i haven't listened to it a great deal, because of the reasons you mentioned. i believe that 1995-1997 produced some of the best country music that's out there. i would like to see country go back to songs of that 'era'. i do like the dixie chicks, and i hope they continue to make great music and fight against the current trend of boring, repetitious, and 'commercialized' music. a couple of albums i might recommend: the first is 'goodbye alice in wonderland' by jewel... i can't really say that it has any political or thought-provoking insights, but it definitely doesn't fit current cookie-cutter music, is truely emotional, and it is simply wonderful to listen to. trisha yearwood's latest album, 'jasper county,' is also quite good. for awhile, she was foraying into a quasi-pop sound (which i did happen to like) but this album has gone back to a (mostly) traditional country sound... and it too is really good. i hope you give one or both of them a listen. have a good day!

     
  • At 5:32 PM, Blogger deanos said…

    I am glad the Chicks made this song. Of course we all know the target of the controversy, but you know what, good for them for standing up to their convictions! If more people would do exactly what they have done, the world would be a much better place! I am proud to be an outspoken Texan that speaks against Bush and his policies. I cannot say that I totally disagree with everything, but the ones I disagree with far out-weigh the ones I support. Good for the Chicks, and good for you! It is nice to read a blog with substance once in a while! Great Post!

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    That whole album is great, Matthew. I love it.

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Anonymous nettie said…

    Amen Matt. I don't agree with their politics but that doesn't stop me from liking them and I love that song.

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Heard it, liked it, agree with it. Weighty, relevant post brought to you by introspective Matt :)

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    I'm not a real big fan of country music, but they are great. Love that song! Your blog is one of a few that I look forward to reading frequently. You're a great writer Matt!

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger savante said…

    Cool. I like them the more for standing up to speak :)

    Paul

     
  • At 12:35 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Hey Everyone
    .
    I absolutely agree that it is great they made this song. I think it speaks to more than just politics.

    I think it takes a lot of courage to speak up about something that the majority disagrees with.

    I think there is so much to take from this song above and beyond the political implications/statements.

    I think we can each relate and take something positive from this powerful song about individuality and free thought.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Matt said…

    Try this joint: This Is Jim Jones (by rapper Jim Jones). It's a bit silly, but good for rolling down the set.

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Blogger El Güero said…

    I generally hate country music (in the same way I despise Bush), but every once in a while a country song comes along that I stop, listen to, and say, "I'd put this on my i-Pod". This is one.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    I think a lot of people feel that way El Güero...

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger David said…

    People have been telling me to get this album, you've just convinced me! great David

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    David - they were right! This album by the Dixie Chicks is awesome! Good purchase...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home