My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Is Equality actually Equal? - Maybe for some...

"No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The equal protection clause can be found in the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution...

I wonder how many people actually know this statement is in the Constitution....but does it really matter...we already have law after law after law that denies equality to groups of people...we suppose to be the land of the free, the home of the brave...the land of equality... a country found on the principles of Christian love taught by Jesus...

Yet how free are we....

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..." I wonder if people actually believe this...whether "rights" are being limited based on race, sexual orientation, or religion, etc...maybe in society, it would be better read as, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men in the "majority opinion" are created equal...

Because really that is rea
lly what "rights" are...it is whatever the majority decides "in its good grace" to grant to those in the minority....or to themselves....

I am 31 years old...I have a successful career...a pension...a profit sharing plan...retirement fund...a family that loves me....friends that adore and care for me...a good place I call home...a great car...a puppy...

sounds just like you eh? like the good ole American Dream...

Well....I am also gay...and that alone limits me on over 1400 rights in the state of Texas...that includes both the 300 or so state's rights and 1100 federal rights...

Imagine that...if you are straight and reading this, just by the simple fact that you marry someone you will have 1400 MORE rights than me...

I mean honestly...whether you are for gay marriage or against it...any intelligent person cannot tell me that is fair...equal...or free...

And I can tell you....the majority of those 1400 rights are not spelled out in the bible...many of them are unique rights to our culture and time...

So if you ever have to make medical decisions for your spouse in the hospital, or pass on health benefits, or social security benefits, or choose to adopt an abandoned child who needs someone to love them or any of the other 1400 rights you have...be thankful..because in America...in the 21st century as it turns out...depending upon who you are...you may just be MORE free than me...

And that is truly sad....

7 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger anastasiamalo said…

    AMEN!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger kaorumaru said…

    That fact is just so sad, everyone deserves the same rights no matter what due to we all take on the same responsabilities and obligations to our countries and to our society.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Roy said…

    I am curious what the 1400 rights are. Is there a listing somewhere?

    Rights are really not all that self-evident. What rights you have is determined by what you can defend either on your own or in a social contract. The genius of the US Constitution is the Bill of Rights and the amending process which is slow but possible when there is a real support for the change.

    When you live with other people you are less free, and when you live in a large city there is a severe limitation on freedom, but it also allows for a considerable amount of freedom.

    The more of a minority you are, like we who are gay, the less freedom you have because it is harder to get the needed support for championing our rights.

    Still, I am interested in the 1400 rights that I as a gay man do not have.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger aaaa said…

    i m from brasil i lives americana i likes be american person

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would like to know what those 1400 rights are that you are limited in.

    I support the strict definition of what marriage is and always has been - one man and one woman. I don't think of any minority or majority in the country as better or worse than me, I simply won't budge on the definition of what marriage is.

    If there is such a list of rights (1400) then I believe it should be looked at by lawmakers and applicable rights should given to gay couples.

    However, my definition of family remains: One man and one woman (and their children). I wish you the best.

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger Fickle Cattle said…

    I love this piece. Thank you.

    ficklecattle.blogspot.com

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Jackie said…

    Interesting post. And to our anonymous person yes the definition of marriage is clearly a subjective one. I think marriage is the union of two people who love each other......

     

Post a Comment

<< Home