My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Song From My Past - Burning Times by Rumors Of The Big Wave

The year was 1993. I was a freshman in high school, and my sister was a senior. She had this CD that I became fascinated with. It was by a band called Rumors of The Big Wave. I say that I became fascinated with the CD, but rather it was one song that truly caught my attention.

The song was called "Burning Times" - This song is about the witch burnings and the Inquisition carried out in the middle ages by the Church. The atrocities committed against the women of the time out of fear by a male dominated church, etc.

Now whether you agree or disagree with this, I encourage you to listen to this song.

I have always thought of this song over the years, but only recently found it online.

Enjoy!

Burning Times - by Rumors Of The Big Wave


5 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    It kinda reminds me Dead Can Dance. I think it eve from the same era!

     
  • At 11:25 PM, Anonymous heather said…

    I was finally able to listen to the song. I haven't heard that song in years, like Matt said I had that cd in high school, and when I started driving that was constantly played in my car.

    As for the song, it is a good song in that it does speak to historical events. Although I am not sure that it is accurate that nine million women died, women did die nonetheless.

    While I do not agree with the manner in which they speak of Christ, the song is accurate in that the early church persecuted people in the name of Christ which is wrong in any time.

    I didn't intend to get into a history lesson here but you told me to post my thoughts on it...so here they be. I still need to find a copy of the song...Takes me back to my youth before marriage and kids came along!!!

    love ya little brother!

    Talk at you later!

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    YAY - everyone say welcome to my sister - she is reading my blog now - SO BE NICE EVERYONE AND SAY HI!!!

     
  • At 1:38 AM, Blogger abnitude said…

    cool song,,i had never heard it before. had a native american feel to it.
    matthew...glad your older sis s reading you now!!!

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What is there with which to disagree?! The Church's own documents record this on-going, systematic and very deliberate atrocity against women, with blood-chillingly precise descriptions of how it done. Our disgusting culture of today (the Western world-view, that is) proves it's success.

    Open your eyes. The Judeo-Christian Church (churches, plural) is the home of the devil incarnate. Jesus was not evil (I too revere Jesus the teacher), but what was done with his message was and is absolutely obscene. One day these Churches will fall and I just hope, as a woman, I am there to see it. I pray for it every day.

    Peace be with you,
    Glorious Goddess

     

Post a Comment

<< Home