My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Brother Is Finally Coming Home - After 8 Years!

I was driving home from work yesterday when I received a phone call. I missed the call but on my caller ID I noticed the number and it looked weird. It was 1 digit too long. I was perplexed by the number. I tried to call it back but it would not go through.

As I was attempting to call the number back, my voicemail indicator came on. I listened to the voicemail and it was my brother. He is overseas in the Navy and has been for basically the last 8 years of his life. I have only seen him a handful of tmie over the last 5 - 6 years.

I did not realized how much I miss my brother until I heard his voice on my voicemail. I immediately started smiling and my smile just grew and grew as I kept listening.

In the voicemail, he told me that he is leaving the Navy and going back to school. He basically has a free ride from his time in the Navy...he can choose his college of choice....well any college he is accepted to I should say.

I am so proud of him!

I am am so happy that he is coming home!

12 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger steve'swhirlyworld said…

    I'm happy for you and your brother; I hope you get the chance to build your relationship. I have three brothers and I can't imagine life without them.

    Congrats!

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Thanks Steve - I actually would like to get to know my brother now...I feel like I do not know that much about him b/c he has been gone all these years. Here is to the future!

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger savante said…

    That is really cool. Now's the time you need to get to know him :)

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Jason said…

    Very good news, happy for you!
    Is he your older brother? I can imagine he's probably been and seen everywhere.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Spider said…

    What WONDERFUL NEWS! Please be sure and tell him THANK YOU for me for all he has done for us!

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Jason - he is my older brother and I am so excited he is coming home!

    Spider - I will tell him!

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Topher said…

    Ah, glad to hear he's gonna come on land and stay for good. Did ya get to visit him at all while he was overseas?

     
  • At 12:00 AM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Kris - no I did not get to visit him overseas...although that would have been fun

     
  • At 10:15 PM, Blogger Sorted Lives said…

    That is soooo wonderful. Enjoy your time with him.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Thanks sorted - I will - I am planning on going home to Texas next year to see him - He comes home next May!

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Yay! And I bet he will have some interesting stories :)

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is your brother accepting of your being out? It seems it would be most difficult for fathers or brothers to be able to handle this. I'm especially curious since he is a military man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home