My So Called Life - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Embrace life -- both the sweet days and the bitter...embrace the joy and the sadness...the successes and the defeats -- for all of these things, both good and bad, have made you who you are.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Immigration - A Touchy Subject!

So what is the answer to this problem of illegal immigration? I certainly have no idea. I do not believe that the U.S. government should begin a policy of shipping all illegal immigrants back to their countries of origin no questions asked. That would not make sense for them or for our country. If some of the laws in our nation were not so lax than illegal immigrants would not make up 10 - 15% of some of the industries in Georgia alone, let alone what percentages that constitute around the nation.

I also do not believe that the laws that are in place in the nation for LEGAL immigration should be brushed aside simply because the protests are taking place. So as I said it is a touchy issue.

How would it feel for the immigrants who came to this country legally, waited for hours, days, months, or even years to get the OK to legally settle here...only to see thousands and potentially millions of illegal immigrants scuttle their way around the system? How would I feel as an immigrant? Would I feel cheated? Would I feel like I was punished for doing everything the legal and right way?

I don't know..I was lucky..I was born in the United States of America and I am always so grateful for that fact. I love the United States with all of its flaws...I see in this nation the same hope that many of these immigrants see..both legal and illegal.

One thing I know for sure is this:

I am sure President George W. Bush will screw this one up like he did Katrina, Iraq, the budget deficit, European relations, and any other major encounter he has had during his presidency.

I want the best for our nation...but just like many other things in this nation, the lines between what is right, what is needed, and what is possible sometimes gets blurred...

8 Comments:

  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Sangroncito said…

    My question is this...if all the undocumented workers suddenly disappeared, who would work in agriculture, meat packing, restaurants, laundries, etc. and what kind of consumer prices would we be paying for those products and services?

     
  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Scotty said…

    I don't have an opinion on this really so I am going to stay mum...well maybe I do but I haven't decided if it is how I really feel.

    Rather I want to say...WELCOM back to blogging!!! And How is Sam???

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Anonymous HBJock said…

    Hmmm not that I am against immigration by any means... but, illegal immigration is so rampant here that I think there needs to be stronger regulations over immigration and illegal immigration.

    For instance... in order to work at a decent job in Waikiki which is the tourist mecca of Hawai'i, you must be bilingual in both English and Japanese... and I kid you not, if you walked out your door, you would see more catering and more people speaking various dialects of Filipino than English! My question is... when is "enough" really "enough"?

    Hawai'i has 2 official languages.. English and Hawaiian... and you see signs all over the place with Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Ilocano, and Tagalog translations.. and now even Marshallese... but where is the Hawaiian? Nowhere.. aside from city names and street names, it doesn't exist in signage... Now of course I know that is partly the fault of lawmakers in Hawai'i.. but again, that is part of the problem isn't it... immigration and illegal immigration has taken its toll on Hawai'i and parts of the U.S... and it's time that something is done about it. There are streets in Waikiki that you can walk down and it's nothing but Japanese stores, bars, and signs everywhere.. you'd think you were in Tokyo if you didn't know any better...

    Just my opinion....

     
  • At 2:52 AM, Blogger Chaichakri said…

    I guess, i know what is being an immigrant is all about... Malaysia is also a country founded on the backs of immigrants from the Malay Archipelaho, China and India

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger Redneckgalintexas said…

    Right on HBJOCK!!! That is happening all over the United States!! I think the real problem is MONEY!!! People who hire illegals, would have to pay the same wages as everyone else!!!!!! What is the point of having a minimum wage, if SOME people think that they don't have to follow the rules????????????

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Nettie said…

    That's a good point...the perspective of legal immigrants doesn't seem to be prominent here...

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Matthew said…

    Nettie,

    Welcome back - long time no see - i like your new site - i havent been online in a while due to technical difficulties but my new computer should arrive next week - woohoo!

     
  • At 2:38 PM, Blogger Inheriting Syria said…

    I think that the poor immigrants that come to America give more power to the poor Americans, so for that reason I support the immigrants that are NOT convicted felons. I say jail the immigrants that are felons and those that hire those felons.

    Most of all I say, “Power to the poor.”



    Poor
    o
    W
    e
    R

     

Post a Comment

<< Home